We've been looking back at some of our old video clips this past week. Reece talks a bit about Open Road below.
I shot all the footage for this clip back on Warped Tour in 2013. It was probably the most mental experience of my life, and although there were plenty of times when I wish I wasn’t spending it behind the lens of a camera, I’m incredibly glad I captured so much of it. Growing up listening to bands like Blink, Sum 41, Jimmy Eat World, Rise Against, The Transplants, and all those guys, you dream of playing warped one day. Actually, I don’t think I’d even dreamed I’d ever play it; that seemed way too ridiculous. But, somehow, I found myself in the midst of it all. Utterly dumbfounded.
I think we had about three or four days of the tour left when the guys told me they wanted to use the footage I was shooting for a clip for Open Road. Only thing was, they wanted to get a whole bunch of our pals from tour to sing along to the song and cut that between the rest of the footage. So I spent from Florida to Texas running round like an idiot, trying to teach people words and get them somewhere quiet to film them singing, which, let me tell you, is a lot harder than it sounds…
The boys wanted me to say some stuff about life on the road and all that in here too, but I feel like everyone already does that. They’ll tell you how dirty it is, how tired you are, how much you smell like shit and how showers are like christmas. And that’s all pretty spot on. I have never been so shamefully unshowered, tired and sweaty in my entire life. All those shots at the beginning of the clip where we’re all half asleep and look like hell, that’s about 75% of Warped Tour. The other 25% you’re either driving, trying to sleep, or you’re playing. Those rockstar party parts of the clip, I think they’re all from a handful of nights over the two months. It’s not glamorous in the slightest. In fact, it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, and at times nearly killed us. But I wouldn’t trade a thing.
This clip has a massive place in my heart, and will always be a reminder of one of the best summers of my life. Huge shout outs to Forever Came Calling, Mighty Mongo, Handguns, Middle Finger Salute, MC Lars, RDGLDGRN, Beebs and her Money Makers, Set it Off, Big Chocolate, Crossfaith, and everyone we met on Warped Tour for not only helping us with the clip, but for making a tiny Aussie band that no one had ever heard of feel so welcome on such a dauntingly huge tour on the other side of the world. I’ll never forget it, and can’t wait to see you all again!
And to everyone who checked us out either in 2013 or ’14, thanks so much for choosing to watch us over so many other insanely talented and/or better looking bands. This clip is for you guys.
Reece - TCSU